Best Dating App: Grindr
Weekly, Top Mobile Trends reviews the top dating apps out there. This week we are focusing on Grindr, one of the earliest location-based networking apps for gay, bisexual, and bi-curious men.
Grindr is a geosocial networking application geared towards gay, bisexual, and bi-curious men. Available for download from the Apple App Store and Google Play, Grindr comes in both free and subscription-based versions (Grindr Xtra). The app makes use of the device geolocation, which allows users to locate other men within close proximity. This is accomplished through a user interface that displays a grid of representative pictures of men, arranged from nearest to farthest away. Tapping on a picture will display a brief profile for that user, as well as the option to chat, send pictures, and share one’s location.
Since its founding in 2009, Grindr’s exploding popularity and its innovation in location-based social networking has captivated the press both in the U.S. and abroad. From The New York Times to The Guardian U.K., the biggest deals in news have been dropping the Grindr name.
0 feet away: Our mission for you
Grindr’s different because it’s uncomplicated and meant to help you meet guys while you’re on the go. It’s not your average dating site — you know, the ones that make you sit in front of a faraway computer filling out complex, detailed profiles and answering invasive psychological questions. We’d rather you were zero feet away.
With Grindr, “0 Feet Away” isn’t just a cute slogan we print on our T-shirts. It’s a state of mind, a way of life — a new kind of dating experience. Turning Grindr off and being there in-person with that guy you were chatting with is the final goal of using the app. Being 0 feet away is our mission for you.
To get started with Grindr, simply grab your mobile device and download and open the app. Then, give yourself a profile name (if you want), upload a photo (also optional, but we encourage it), and answer a couple of questions about yourself (your choice, too). Then, get out there and start chatting, trading photos, and meeting up with the many men in your area — wherever you may be!
Whether you’re traveling, new in town, or just hanging out at home, Grindr’s the fastest, easiest, and most fun way to connect with the biggest network of nearby guys. And it’s available on not just the iPhone but also the iPad, iPod touch, Android, and BlackBerry.
Want all-access, VIP treatment? Download Grindr Xtra for the premium Grindr experience, with bonus features and increased functionality.
- Grindr Launched March 25, 2009
- Now more than 7 million users in 192 countries around the world.
- Grindr is used in every country worldwide except for two small island nations: Nauru and Tuvalu. A few (of many) interesting countries with Grindr users include: Albania, Azerbaijan, Cuba, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Fiji, Haiti, Iran, Iraq, Kyrgyzstan, Malawi, Moldova, Samoa, Sri Lanka, and Yemen.
- Active Users Daily: 1,246,819
- In about a 30 day span, Grindr and Grindr Xtra guys sent one billion chat messages to each other. They also exchanged one billion photos and logged in one billion times in a two month span. Additionally, Grindr delivers an astounding one billion ad impressions in just under two weeks.
- Worldwide Daily Use Chat Messages Sent: 30 million+
- Average Daily Use Time Spent on Grindr: 2 hours
- Photos Sent: 2 million+
Grindr data current as of July 2013.
By G+ Author: Grace Barry.