Top Elf Yourself Free Apps: Pros and Cons
For many families or friendship groups across the world it’s an annual holiday tradition to create a silly elf video, and it can be hard to find the best elf yourself free apps, but don’t get the holiday blues just yet, we’re here to help!
Here’s the two best elf yourself free apps:
ElfYourself by Office Depot, Inc.
This app allows you to create fun videos of you and loved ones as elves and is sure to get everyone in the holiday spirit. All you have to do to get the fun rolling is select some photos and let the app generate the whole video for you! Easy!
- User friendly interface – no matter what your technology proficiency you will be able to use this app with ease. The entire process is selecting photos and the only thing you have to do is choose the setting for your video.
- Quick – the app generates the video very quickly so you can share on social media and via email in no time at all!
- Many photo sources – to create the video, you are required to add up to five photos. Even if you don’t have pictures of people in your people, you can take new photos through the app or connect to Facebook to access photos from there.
- The free version of this app only includes the “Office Party” theme, although you can use it as many times as you want. If you’d like to access other options you’ll have to pay a pretty hefty in-app amount of $4.99 to unlock them all or $0.99 to unlock one you like.
This app is ideal for creating a funny video of you and your coworkers. It’s not going to be the affordable version for creating a family or friends “elf yourself” video, unless you’re comfortable paying $0.99 for another setting. Apart from that, the reaction from coworkers, or even family when they see the end product will make everything worthwhile!
Christmas: Starring You! for iPhone by JibJab Media, Inc.
JibJab brings us this app that allows you to cast up to five friend in a hilarious Elf Dance. Simply Upload photos of your friends and family from your camera roll or Facebook page and transform them into the baddest dancing elves you’ll see this holiday season.
- Many photo sources – to create the video, you are required to add up to five photos. Even if you don’t have pictures of people in your people, you can take new photos through the app or connect to Facebook to access photos from there, as a difference from ElfYourself, you can also access existing photos from within your StoryBots account.
- Safe – this app is geared towards children, and it has a couple of brilliant features that protect the little ones from getting into strife while using technology (which is a huge concern for many parents). The app requires you to create an account with your email and age, as well as requesting a number code before actioning any external social media links or sharing options. This is extremely clever and well done.
- Fast – the video generates pretty much immediately and is available to be shared on social media or video email.
- Have to create account- this is a safety feature, I’m sure, but you can just feel the spam entering your inbox as you type your email address and quick “sign up”. This would be less of a hinderance if the app allowed you to select “don’t send me spam” (or something to that effect) before signing your online life away.
- Only one video option – there’s only one video available to create, and it’s a cute little story involving the five characters, but it’s not enough. For an app geared towards children (you know those two-foot tall humans with attention spans of a goldfish?) it’s a little surprising that the app doesn’t include more video creation options.
- Five characters – you have no option but to upload or take five headshots for the elf characters, and this can be a problem too. What is you don’t have five little kids running around? Or even family and friends pictures that you can load into the app? This would be better if you could customize the amount of elves required for the video.
This app is ideal for use at home, with the kids or extended family. Even without multiple video options, nothing can beat the smile and giggles from the children as they see the elf-versions of themselves dancing around on the phone screen. You’ll enjoy sharing this video with family and friends to get into everyone into a jolly holiday spirit.
So no matter which app you choose – have a Merry Christmas and spread a little cheer with these great videos! Let us know in the comments below which one you enjoyed the most – doesn’t hurt to try them both, they are free after all!