Recycle Your Old Phones

Reasons To Recycle Your Old Phones

We all have heard the niche “Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.” Recycling has all to do with the environment and “Go Green” stances. We can recycle almost everything. Yes, even the mobile phone that you are carrying with you can be recycled. There are lots of manufacturers that are now inclined towards recycling your old technical gadgets.

Reuse Reduce Recycle

Due to their small size and quick replacement cycle, mobile phones are more likely to end up in the waste stream and add to a growing share of the deadly materials that end up in our landfills.

According to Ecocell, there are more than 260 million cell phone users (85% of the population) in the United States alone with nearly 1 Billion currently in retirement. It has been estimated that only 10% of unneeded mobile phones are recycled and reprocessed each year. The other 90% ends up in a junkyard.

The mobile phone manufacturing also affects our ecosystem and here’s the reason why you should give your old mobile devices for recycling for our very own ecosystem.

Ecocell further claims “An ore known as Coltan (columbite-tantalite) is a resource of the element tantalum which is an indispensable coating for mobile handsets. This ore is frequently found in the central African nation of Congo among the endangered elephant and gorilla habitats. These rare animals are likely being killed by rebel bands while mining the ores of tantalum.”

The U.N. has reported that, in the past five years, the eastern lowland gorilla population in the Congo has declined to a worrying 90%. Reducing the demand for the ore of Coltan will help save these endangered animals and their natural habitat.

Recycling not only helps our ecosystem to survive in health, but it also keeps the greenhouse gas emissions low. As it keeps the valuable material out of landfills and incinerators, it conserves the natural resources from pollution created by those harmful materials.

Recycling helps ecosystem

It is estimated in reports that if one million cell phones are recycled per year, then it will be equivalent to taking 33 heavy air polluting cars off the road. Just see the environmental effect of your one step.

United States Environmental Protection Agency states on their website, “Electronic products are made from expensive resources and materials, including metals, plastics, and glass, all of which require energy to excavate and fabricate. Donating or recycling consumer electronics conserves our natural resources and keep away from air and water pollution, as well as greenhouse gas emissions that are caused by manufacturing virgin materials.”

This website further stated, “For every million cell phones provided for recycling, 35 thousand pounds of copper, 772 pounds of silver, 75 pounds of gold, and 33 pounds of palladium can be obtained.” Thus, it states that people should make recycling a habit as it will benefit one and all.

It is not only about the environmental angle to the side. Mobile phone manufacturers are taking up initiatives to recycle the old phones so that the constituent elements produced out of it can be used for manufacturing new phones without involving the high transportation costs of materials that are obtained from ores in different parts of the world.

Recycle and earn cash from O2

O2 has also started an initiative “O2 Recycle” so that you can donate your old mobile phone for the recycling process with them. They recycle old phones of whichever brand, no matter what network you are from. You can find out what your old mobile is worth at their official website, and you can get some cash from your old mobile recycling. O2 Recycle offers up to more than $600 for recycling your old phone depending upon your device. The majority of phones that are received by O2 Recycle are reused. The ones that cannot be reused are often repaired or recycled/reprocessed.  Nothing goes to waste as they operate on a zero landfill policy.

So recycling saves ecosystem, prevents endangered animals, saves energy, reduces greenhouse emissions, and you can even get some money from recycling your old phones. These are enough reasons for recycling your old phone. So recycle your old phone today itself.

Jacquelyn Tanner

Jacquelyn Tanner

author
Long time contributor and blogger for TopMobileTrends.com! American living in London and driving the UK crazy. Add me on G+!
Facebook
Instagram
Twitter
Pinterest
Google+
http://topmobiletrends.com/reasons-recycle-old-phones/">
LinkedIn