Not long ago, there was barely a computer in most of the households. Fast forward, few years later, computers, smartphones, tablets and all sorts of gadgets are all around us. Today, most of our office work is done via a computer and with the rising popularity of mobiles apps, social media and mobile advertising; heavy use of mobile phones is inevitable.
This is both good news and bad news. The good news is that computers and mobile gadgets have made our work easier in terms of working and interacting, networking and socializing. The bad news is that heavy computer use can have a far-reaching implication in our health and relationships.
According to an article published in the Huffington Post, modern technology is affecting people’s sleep because the artificial light that emanate from the computer and mobile phones by our bedside affect deep restorative sleep. According to a research conducted at the University of Gothenburg, heavy use of technology is also positively associated with stress levels and general mental health especially among the youthful population.
Some of the more specific findings from the study included the following:
- • Increased sleep disorders due to heavy cell phone usage.
- • Increase in depressive symptoms in both women and men.
- • Those who constantly use mobile phones are more likely to develop mental health problems.
- • Men who are frequent users of computers have a greater risk of developing sleeping disorders.
- • Using the computer regularly without breaks is responsible for the increase in the risks for sleeping problems, stress and depressive symptoms among women.
Having said that, perhaps it is time we started limiting our over reliance on computer and mobile use. It is time to take a break away from your mobile phone and do other things. Luckily, there are some apps that have been developed to remind you to take breaks when using your phone or computer.