Online dating apps, like Tinder, are, in theory, supposed to be quite safe for finding a potential partner, but you would be surprised (or not?) at how many scary Tinder scams and horror stories there are.
The popular pop-culture media site, Buzzfeed, recently asked members of BuzzFeed Community to share the absolute worst things they experienced on Tinder.
Here are some of the real-life tinder horror stories, mixed with a few others found from across the internet:
1. I went on three dates with a guy I met on Tinder before we decided to go away for the weekend. He seemed nice enough: great job, well dressed, educated…until we were on our way up to the vacation destination… and he starts crying and explaining he had been in prison for the past 11 years…and then asked if I wanted to meet his parents on the way there. We still dated for two months. I’m not proud of this.
2. I went on a date with a guy from Tinder and as we were eating, he told me about his visit to the doctor that day… I listened sympathetically as he told me how he “regularly produced massive stools” due to him being a vegetarian, making tears in his “tiny anus,” which he had to put cream on. Needless to say I didn’t date him again!
3. I went on a date with a guy from Tinder. I quickly realised he wasn’t my type but decided to just go with it for a while. Half an hour into the date, he asked me if I wanted to do tequila shots. I left early. A week later, he sent flowers to my work with a cheesy poem confessing his love for me. I worked in a coffee shop in the middle of a busy shopping centre. I never even took them home – I was that embarrassed. Never spoke to him again.
4. I’m slightly on the large side, and I don’t try to hide it. So I was talking to a nice guy on Tinder and we hit it off straight away. We met up at a bar, he saw me and the first words he said to me were, ‘Oh, I didn’t know you were fat.’ So I turned around and walked out.
5. En route to the Worst Date Ever, this guy texted me from the burrito place we were meeting, to tell me he’d already ordered me the salad. I repeat: SALAD. At a burrito place. Also, was this the past? Was I now incapable of placing my own food order? Anyway… After arriving – with my salad ready, beside his plate of tacos – he spent the next half an hour telling me about his model ex-girlfriend and how passionate their ‘breakup sex’ had been…last weekend. The final straw was – even after telling him I wasn’t a big fan of smoking – he literally asked a stranger for cigarettes and then chain smoked them beside me.
6. I started talking to this really sweet guy for about two weeks and things were going well. Then I started getting calls from this girl, who he claimed was his crazy roommate that was in love with him and kept trying to get him fired from jobs. Turns out, she wasn’t the one lying, she was actually his live-in girlfriend, and they had moved here together from a different state. Apparently he wasn’t actually a citizen, and was trying to obtain papers. Thanks, Tinder.
7. On our fourth date we went back to his place to watch football. We were on the couch and cuddling; he had his arm around me. He must have been disappointed that I was actually watching the football, because I looked over my shoulder and he was on Tinder literally behind my back looking for his next date. Then asked me when I wanted to see him again.
8. Matched with my cousin.
9. Went on a date with a girl who had already told her whole family about me, before we even met. And she wanted me to meet them in person on the first date. Nope.
10. Buddy of mine hit it off with this girl and after a few days, she invited him over to a house party. “Sure” he says, what could go wrong? He shows up and is introduced to a few of her friends, all guys. As the night carries on, more and more guys show up and very few girls are actually at the party. After they start talking about how they all know this girl they find out that she invited them all from Tinder. Every guy was there not to hook up, but to populate this chick’s birthday party.
11. My buddy isn’t the smartest man. He picked a chick up and drove to a motel. They were walking into the room and she says, “oh shit, I forgot my purse in the car do you mind if I go grab it?” He says, “yeah that’s fine,” and tosses her the keys. 5 minutes later he walks outside wondering where she is and his car is gone. EDIT: For clarification, yes he got his car back. I think the police found it about a week later. I don’t think she was ever caught though. If you’re in Baltimore swipin’ don’t let her near your keys.
12. Got a Tinder notification on my phone…realized I don’t have Tinder and was holding my girlfriends phone.
13. Finally. Started seeing a girl off tinder. It was going well for about two weeks and thought she was pretty cool. Then things started getting weird. She used to always joke about killing me. I thought it was okay the first few times but then it got annoying. I told her to stop and she kept doing it. Idk if it was because she thought it was funny that it freaked me out or what. Anyways told me she has a shotgun in her room. Yikes. Long story short I told her I didn’t want to see her anymore. She didn’t like that. For the next three weeks she’s absolutely hounding me. Calls me constantly, shows up at my work asking for me, keeps coming over to my apartment. She actually knocked on my door for 30 minutes. When I didn’t answer she went around back and started knocking on my bedroom window. Got really concerned for awhile but eventually she gave up